Tuesday 19 January 2016

Fairy Awakening

Hello!!
I have just had the most awesome weekend attending a workshop that I will remember for the rest of my life!!  It was like a awakening for me, hence the title of my finished piece 'Fairy Awakening'.  This was the second workshop I had attended by the most awesomely talented Susan Farrell of Susan Farrell Art.  Whilst I really enjoyed the first one (which was totally different to this one), I wasn't expecting this weekends workshop to be more than a great escape and some 'me time', WOW was I wrong.  As crafters or artists we are told to 'let go' and 'there are no mistakes' it is often hard to do it, but after the introduction to Susan's workshop where we were lead by some guided meditation to release our inner child I decided that 'it was just paint and canvas' and if i hated it, I could always cover it in gesso and start over!  I decided I was just going to 'go with it' and let it be what it was destined to become, and I have to say I am pretty darn Happy with it!


The first layer was basically a little colour and alot of stencils, not much thinking, just lots of doing!
  



The second layer was a bit more colour and some more random marks here and there.... Busy isn't it!

 

The third layer was pure colour!  Those Golden fluid acrylics just glow!!  At this point I wasn't sure where it was going to end up, but I was thoroughly enjoying the process.  As per usual, I thought it might have a fairy or 2, so at the end of day one I rushed home, went straight to the laser to cut me some fairy stencils, and a few others! (Will be available in the next Whichcraft new release :) )


 

And here is my finished piece.  It is quite large, 30 x 30 inch (75cm x 75cm).  I love how you can make the background disappear or bring it right to the front of the canvas.  I have created many items in my time, but never have a created something on this scale and wanted to start another right away.  I am so inspired by this past weekend.  The people I have met and the 'Awakening' that I have experienced.




 
I cannot encourage you enough to check out Susan's page.  She also has E-courses available for those who cannot attend a workshop in person.

May all your fairy dreams come true! xx



15 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting such detailed information and descriptions. Really enjoyed your process and work. I am considering her ecourse. Elizabeth txormt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I am sure you will enjoy the course! :)

      Delete
    2. Would a true beginner be able to follow along and create this from the ecourse?

      Delete
    3. Having not done the E-Course i cant speak from experience, but a beginner would definitely be able to do the workshop i attended as Susan is very helpful and supportive. I would suggest sending Susan a message through her facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=susan%20farrell%20art there is also a support page for people who join the e course i believe.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting such detailed information and descriptions. Really enjoyed your process and work. I am considering her ecourse. Elizabeth txormt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I am sure you will enjoy the course! :)

      Delete
  3. Kerry- Thank you for sharing the process, this canvas is AMAZING, I just ADORE it you have done a GREAT job- I wish to order the stencils already PLEASE- I just love fairies too, infact some I have purchased from you I just cant use cause they are way too beautiful but you know what I am going to allow myself to use them- I keep on trying to think of a word to explain just how very special your work is, but no word seems enuff <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. Thank You so much for your kind comments. I know what you mean about 'hoarding' those favorite crafting things. I keep thinking, 'I'll save that for something really good', but you know what, using it on that project might be what makes it really good, so go with your intuition, its probably right ;)xx

      Delete
  4. Thank you I am attending Susan Farrell Art class in march.. Love your detailed post ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, I am sure you will enjoy it!! I cant wait to do her 'Beyond the Veil' class :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you I am attending Susan Farrell Art class in march.. Love your detailed post ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, I am sure you will enjoy it!! I cant wait to do her 'Beyond the Veil' class :)

      Delete
  6. I adore this, first of all I LOVE LOVE LOVE (fairies especially the type you have used, they are perfect) the vibrant colors, the use of white shadows instead of black (what a great idea!) the white fairy dust / bubbles, the bare tree (is that a stencil), the dream catchers, the lilies, and the water effects. I'll be back to look at this again, I'm sure I've missed something, I just have to find it ;) Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks Deb, i am just a little bit obsessed with fairies, so they are in alot of my projects...LOL. I will have a tree stencil available in the next new release in 2 sizes :)almost all of it is stencils :)

      Delete
  7. Susan précise bien dans ses cours de ne rien divulguer de ses techniques vous êtes archi nul et orgueilleuse

    ReplyDelete